Sunday, October 7, 2012

Topic 7 Reflection

Topic 7 was a tough one because it is difficult to analyze and critique online instruction from an elementary standpoint. In my opinion, there are not many resources available for public schools at an elementary level. That is why I chose the closest thing I could to fulfill the requirements of the topic, Edmodo.

I think it will be some time before online learning filters down to a public school elementary level, maybe never, but Edmodo, does offer some possibilities for teachers who are trying to extend learning time and engage tech savvy students. At my school we have often found students begin logging on, reading, and reflecting upon content before teachers have left the school building. They check in during inclement weather days and over breaks.

Assessing Edmodo using the criteria from topic 7 helped me think about how to move our attempt to create curriculum into a model that would better withstand scrutiny. A model focused on standards and educational objectives. I'm really not sure it will ever be equivalent to many professional online offerings, but I do feel, for now, it is meeting our needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment