Monday, September 24, 2012

Education and Google

It was interesting this week to use the rubric created by iNACOL to evaluate an online course. The course I reviewed did not get stellar marks, but it I was really excited to see what was offered. The part I liked the most was the materials were offered free to anyone to use.

Many times I have heard parents ask me for textbooks or other materials to help their child learn more about math at home. Although the course I reviewed was intended for high school students, many of the concepts could be utilized by elementary students. I would not hesitate to share this resource with my peers or with parents. I think it has great value.

I love living in an age in which I can "Google" how to cook a great pot roast, how to program my remote control, how to get from point A to point B, really "how to" do a lot of things. I can quickly learn more right when I have a question, instead of waiting to research. Looking over the materials offered at the Open High School of Utah, I can imagine a world in which people of all ages can learn what they want, when they want, and to the degree they want.

No comments:

Post a Comment