Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Next New Thing

"Sunny day, sweepin' the clouds away. . .," the song plays as I sit and try to see the images through a hazy television screen. Get up. Move the antenna a little. A slightly clearer picture emerges. I analyze the pictures and words on the screen. I feel proud that I know a little more this week than the week before.

When I was younger, we had a total of three television stations on a good day, but watching "Sesame Street" took patience and determination. There was great manipulation of both the television and the aerial antenna connected to it in order for one to even see recognizable blobs. In the rural area I grew up, "Sesame Street" was the only kindergarten available, and it didn't come in most days. I suppose despite all that, one could say that public broadcasting, at least for me, was a great success. I started school as a reader. Curriculum came to me, when I could not come to it.

Distance learning historically has tried to meet this same need. Taking curriculum and learning to those who cannot otherwise receive it. Throughout the years this drive has been met with whatever tools worked at the time, the mail service, radio, television, circuit teachers, satellites, and now, computers. I do not feel that online learning must do a better job than "traditional" or face-to-face teaching, it just has to do at least the same job, but in a more diverse manner. It must reach those who otherwise might be left behind. We live in a very diverse world. Online learning has the capability to allow students educational access despite geographical and physical considerations. It can allow students more choice, such as advanced placement classes to students whose school systems do not have the funding to provide them. Students, and parents, could have choice beyond what is offered in a particular geographic region.

I am proud to see the growth of online learning. Right now, I feel, it is still a little fuzzy, sort of like my television in the 1970's. Only an outline of what is emerging may be seen, however it offers much to those who are persistent in their pursuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment