Saturday, September 29, 2012

Reflecting upon Resources

This week I looked at several of the resources posted on the MOOC. The resources from Georgia Virtual School and Hope Learning Academy both refer to how data is utilized to guide student instruction. I think this is very important. I feel many of the platforms in which lessons are delivered online make the creation of data easy. However, I wonder how diverse these assessments are. I find myself wondering about how different learning styles are incorporated. I wonder if the majority of tests are multiple choice.

I find myself thinking about time studies that helped pave the way for the industrial revolution. Henry Ford's production line made the creation of cars streamlined. Can online learning make delivering classroom content streamlined? What should be removed? What should be revamped? How much more can a teacher do without having to monitor hallways and bathrooms? How much time could be gained if some of the assessments were graded by a computer instead of a pen? What if a student could rewind and review a lesson over and over until it "stuck," or could choose among resources in order to learn a topic? What if students could learn at their own pace?

Maybe I should have titled this post, "I wonder," because that is what I am doing in reflecting upon the subject this week. I see a lot of potential for online classes. Online classes seem to offer not only a change in the way classes are delivered and assessed, but also a change in the social interactions that are associated with "school."

No comments:

Post a Comment