Sunday, September 30, 2012

Facilitators

I remember back to when I first started taking online classes for my master's degree, it felt like I was spending as much time learning how to navigate the learning platform as learning the content of the course. It took time to discover where the announcements were, how to post assignments, what the expectations were. I was an adult, one who teaches other teachers about technology, and I often felt confused. Having had that experience, I feel I can understand how important a facilitator could be to younger students who are taking online courses.

When determining if facilitators are necessary, I think one must first determine what the goal of delivering the content is. In my opinion, a college designs a course with different goals than a middle or high school. A college may be satisfied if the quality of the curriculum is sound, trusting that students should be able to monitor and motivate themselves, and if this doesn't happen, the student still pays for the course. The goal being the reimbursement for the delivery of quality curriculum. The student bears the burden of choosing to take the class as well as choosing how to interact within the class and class content.

For a middle or high school, the goal is much different. It is harder to have the same goal, quality curriculum. This isn't to say that no online program offers student choice or that no non-college student has the capacity to monitor and motivate, but in my experience, when students do not perform well, blaming the student happens only after a discussion of the school, the teacher, the situation, and the curriculum. It often never happens, even though there is ample evidence that it should. So in my opinion, the goal is different. The goal is for as many students as possible to succeed, but also to keep a school out of the proverbial "hot water." After all in a college class, I pay and if I fail, I lose, but in a school setting the taxpayers often pay and if students fail we all lose together. So to get a better return on our investment, facilitators are a necessity.

Facilitators are a necessity not only as perfunctory babysitters, but they are also a necessity because students at this age are more likely to need a "guide by the side." They do not yet have the life experience that a college student has. Many of these students have been unsuccessful in traditional classrooms and are in desperate need of a life change and / or mentor.

Facilitators also serve as a liaison between the school (student) and the online instructor. They are sort of the job foreman overseeing the project and discussing production problems with the main office, such as deadlines that need to be extended. Things the online instructor may not know about the students or sites.

I believe facilitators serve a vital role in online instruction, especially for young students. They help students be successful. They help schools reach diverse learning needs. They bridge the gap between an online instructor and a specific student. They help each side meet goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment